Saturday, February 7, 2015

A SUMMARY REPORT


Since the mailing of the above mentioned story I have received, so far: 4682 visits.

A partial breakdown follows:
  • Argentina:2538
  • USA: 683
  • France: 231
  • Spain: 168
  • U.K.: 165
  • Germany: 155
  • Ukraine: 119
  • Russia: 84
  • Poland: 57
  • Japan: 37


Information Received:
Thanks to several people that read the story, I was able not only to contact and later meet three cousins, one in France and two in Scotland .
I, also, received all the ancestry of the Foster, Stevenson and Lamont families’ trees. Which were published in the blog.

And thanks to my cousin Fergus Boyle I also received information about Molly Spurrier, who over the years kept contact with my Father.  Molly was the daughter of Mary Stevenson, (my grandmothers elder sister) who married Hurtley Reid). Molly married Charles Spurrier in Wolverhapton in 1912. Molly sisters were Sophia Louisa and Charlotte Ethel “Lottie”·
Whilst my Father was in hospital I continued writing with Mollie until 1960 when all correspondence suddenly stopped. I now know that Molly had died during 1960 same year than my Father. 
I later was informed during 1959 my Aunt Cherub had died in Madagascar.

Lottie Reid



During May, Antonia and I spent a few days in Paris where I, finally met my pretty cousin Anne-Christine Joaillier daughter of Cousin “Babylou” and Grand-Daughter to my Aunt “Cherub” Foster Dibert.
We had a wonderful meeting and a very long chat referring to all the knowledge of all our ancestors.                    

Myself, Anne Christine and Antonia, Paris 2014.


So from Paris we flew into Glasgow, where we stayed at a very pleasant hotel near the Kevin River. No sooner had we arrived that I contacted my cousin Fergus that drove the following morning, from his home’ to pick us up at the Hermitage Hotel. From there we spent a wonderful day visiting Fairlie (Ayrshire) and Greenock (Renfrewshire) where the Stevenson’s and the Lamont’s had originally settled. We also visited the Greenock Cemetery where stands an obelisk dedicated to the Lamont family.

Fergus Boyle stands by the Lamont obelisk. Greenock cemetery, 2014.


We, also, had the pleasure of meeting Fergus Mother Norma Boyle. Norma’s Mother was Beatrice E. Davidson who married Alexander Gray. Beatrice’s mother was Elizabeth Stevenson; elder sister of my Grandmother Clara Stevenson. Beatrice and my Father were first cousins. So, it follows that Norma and I are second cousins.

Myself with Norma in Adrossan, 2014.


We had a whale of a time and searched for many skeletons in the cupboard. Norma had met my parents and my elder brother Digby, during their visit to England in 1934. 
We had all lunch together in Adrossan (Ayrshire) where the Stevenson’s and the Lamont’s originated. 




“The Lost Colony” by Andrew Graham Yool: 
This excellent book is about the different English speaking people that visited or settled in the land that is now known as Argentina.
I thought it would be pleasant to present as a gift to cousins Anne Christine and Fergus and as we cancelled our trip to England I sent, on by post, a copy to my dear friend Alice Meek in Cheltenham.
I received the following comments on the bestowed present:

Anne Christine: "very, very interesting story, I am learning a lot about  South American history in this book, a real discovery for me : I was not aware at all about the “competition” between Spanish, French and North Americans fellows to control those wide areas that looked like another paradise two centuries ago.
Thank you ever so much for providing me this reading opportunity, I do appreciate it!"

Alice Meek: "I think The Lost Colony is superb.   I am going slowly on it because of the amount of dates but, I love it.  How did you guess that history was my favourite subject."

Fergus Boyle: "I am reading the Forgotten Colony and am fascinated by the multitude of emigrants and their doings. Interestingly Consul Woodbine Parish (later Sir Woodbine) had a second wife who was mother of Charles Woodbine Parish who married a daughter of Admiral Alexander Boyle, brother of my great great grandfather! So another (rather tenuous) connection to Argentina."


MISSING LINK:
Not yet received information on the decoration award presented to a member of the Stevenson family by Queen Victoria




No comments:

Post a Comment