Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A FAMILY STORY: THE FOSTER/STEVENSON´S (Part 1 )





Before my Father was taken seriously ill in 1956 at the age of 59 he still had contact with the following people abroad:




VICTOR MEEK, Byron Av., New Malden, Surrey. Together with his brother Cecil (died in WW1) were school chums and the friendship during the years continued with Victor.


John Fuller, Norton Road, Uxbridge. Same school. But then in 1914, same as Dad, traveled to Canada to work and study. However, war broke out and they both joined the army.



                    “Extract from John Fuller’s diary “Henry Foster – my school friend”


“I cannot remember how we kept in touch but I found out that he was in Canada whilst I was there. I somehow got his address and wrote knowing he had joined the Canadian Army. He went to France. While I was convalescing following being wounded, Harry and I met in Hastings and continued to keep in touch. I returned to France before Harry and later found his name on the roll of re-informants.(1918)
I had then become a sergeant and I got him off draft for office work at our rail head.
Harry spoke very good French and was very useful companion in France in finding billets for our troops.
Harry’s Mother lived in Watford in good circumstances (she kept servants) and I spent several weekends there in 1919 – 1920 when I was living in Uxbridge. I met his Mother and sister several times. His Father had been a Commercial Agent in Madagascar.”
James H.R.Foster  (1897-1961)
            Canadian Infantry - 19th.Battalion

76 Cascio Road    -    Watford  (2005)

  
         I personally met Jack, on my first visit to England in January 1980. Not having his phone I just dropped in his house at Norton Road. He, and his wife Alice were delighted and we spoke several hours and he read extracts of all the correspondence with Dad he had filed away over the years.

          I continued corresponding with him till he passed away in 1990.

          His son Peter was kind enough to send me all the file of Dad’s letters. 
And we still continue writing to each other.


           I met Peter personally in 1992. He came to look for us at our hotel in London and, together with my wife had dinner at the Churchill Hotel.

           The following Saturday we met at Brighton. And visited 10th The Drive; Hove, where my Grandparent’s used to stay whenever they returned to England from Madagascar. At least on two occasions my Father, also, stayed at this house.

  Peter Fuller and myself at Lingfield -Surrey (A.D.1992)

 10th. the Drive - Hove  (A.D. 1992)

With Peter we met up again in 2005 as I had invited him to the annual Independence day (9 de Julio) asado in London. To this party my son Henry and self flew from Mahon (Minorca) to Gatwick airport on the 8th of July, the day after the terrorist bombing.  The asado was great, with nearly 700 people attending. We had a big table with friends and school chums who had in some cases, not seen for many years.

  Vera´s husband, Vera Risso, Alice Meek, Ian White, Derek Foster, Peter Fuller, Doreen and Jim Risso 

CHRISTINA DORIS  (1901-1959) my aunt Cherub. From Watford returned to Madagascar and married George Dibert who had investments in the island. Had two children, my cousins George and Anne Therese (Babyloo).  During the war Madagascar came under the Vichy government.  The whole family was about to be interned in a concentration camp for the duration. However there was a strong complaint against this by people of Madagascar, so much so that Cherub was offered to work for the government, which she accepted on the basis that none of her family were interned. This was accepted by the authorities.
However, Cherub worked for British Intelligence together with another person in the island who were good friends but did not get to know their activity until the British Army took over the island in 1942.
                                                                 
Christina Doris. (1901-1959)

The British Army invaded Madagascar from the North (Port Diego Suarez capturing the naval base.)
The fighting was over by the 5th.of November and later on the island was returned to France.(1946)

However, the Japanese were also interested in taking over the island and quite a large naval fleet was sent.
These were destroyed by the Australian Navy

I keep in my files a photocopy of letter sent expressing their gratitude to aunt Cherub signed by Brigadier A.J.Nott, Headquater commander of the East African area dated 27th.July 1943.

As to the fourth person in this story is where family mysteries come into being:


MOLLY SPURRIER, last address Fairlie Lodge, Fairlie, Ayrshire, Scotland.
Molly lived with two other sisters. Her husband died during WW1 and we always remember her for the person that, having received the news of her husband being killed, overnight her hair turned white.

 Mr.Spurrier

Molly and sisters had some family connection with my Grandmother, but how close I do not know. Perhaps cousins.  But with my Father they had a very good companionship all through their life…..

It was soon after W.W.2 ended, that Molly sent us rapped newspapers.  Amongst one of many of these we received a silver badge (Attached see photo) and a book titled “English Lighthouse Tours”(1801-1813-1818)  Edited by D.A. Stevenson  and taken from diaries of Robert Stevenson. The badge, which I understand only two were minted, was bestowed to one of the Stevenson’s (from Edinburg) of the Lighthouse building by Queen Victoria.



However, before I continue it would be interesting to depict the lives and adventures of my grandparents:

THOMAS TURNER FOSTER (1852-1907) believed to have been born in Bentley (Yorkshire).
His Father was an engineer and an “inventor”. Due to family trouble turned around and disappeared from home.


As to TTF must have left home quite young as consulting Internet “Mormon Society Family Trees” nothing is found, neither, in the first ever census of 1880 which took place in Great Britain, Canada and the U.S.A.
We know he knew Africa and the West Indies thoroughly.
 In the 1880´s he appears in Madagascar, at the times of Queen Ranavalona the 3rd a well to do person and settles as a Commercial Agent being a partner of a Mr. Spence of Modrin & Spence. He was also Lloyd’s Agent. During his adventures a younger man by the name Albert Rowntree accompanied him in his adventures.

 Mr.Albert Rowntree

After having settled in, TTF thought it was time to get married…. So he sent his friend and companion Rowntree to have a look in England.

I do no know the contacts Rowntree made in Great Britain but he finally met a Stevenson family from Edinburgh. I believe it was a large family and some parties have mentioned   that my Great Grandmother worked for Queen Victoria. However I have my doubts about this as my Father never mentioned this issue in his family comments.

CLARA MIDDLETON STEVENSON: (1865-1937) as mentioned, part of a rather large family, Clara was at that time 23 years of age, for those days “a spinster”.  So how it came about I do not know but she took the plunge. Someway they got married and had two children; My Father, James Henry Robert Foster (1897-1961), and Christina Doris (Cherub) (1901-1959). Both born in Madagascar

Clara’s family was, somehow, connected with the Stevenson’s. Famous engineers in light-house building; therefore to Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894) himself. However there is a missing link to be able to connect the issue.

There are some very interesting data gathered from Internet:

                    Reading an essay by Robert L. Stevenson   referring to heroines in literature I found that Clara Middleton was heroine in a book published in 1879 named “The Egoist” by George Meredith (1828-1909).
Now Meredith had another friendly author Richard Barnham Middleton  who were friends of Robert Louis Stevenson and all members of the Royal Society of Authors. So the questions is who was named first: My Grandmother (1872)

                    Having heard through my cousins in Madagascar that she might have been born in England
I made another approach through www. Family Trees of the Mormon Society… I found several Clara Stevenson but one only Clara M. Stevenson who’s father was Thomas Stevenson (1844-?) from Edinburgh. This Clara was born in Exeter, Devon in 1872 and her Father Thomas was the editor of a Daily Newspaper.   I thought: Bingo, as RLS´s Father was also Thomas, I thought may be a brother. However it was not to be as RLS was an only son.    
                                               ----------- 

The Foster’s did well in Madagascar and traveled often to and fro to England to their house in Hove.
Although, I understand, that Clara’s Mother had property in Eastbourne (East Sussex).

One of the comments received by my Father was to see his Father get out the “buggy” and horse and drove to Brighton. On arriving at the railway station change his farmer’s hat and don his top hat ready to get to London on business.  
              
In 1907 at the age of 55, my grandfather suddenly died.    My Grandmother and children returned to England and settled in Watford at 76 Cascio Road. Where my Father was sent to a special school for widows sons.

It was there that he made friendship with the previous mentioned: Victor, Cecil Meek and Jack Fuller.

Life kept on and all went to war.  After the war was over my Grandmother married Spence and resumed her travels to and fro Madagascar but with stops in Cannes and Nice.

I do not know if they had a steady home in England or stayed at hotels; however when my parents traveled to England on home leave in 1929  and stayed partly in Brighton, Grandmother came to stay with them traveling from France
Commercial Offices of  Modrin & Spence.
From left to right: A.Rowntree,J.Spence, Grandmother Clara

A car tour:  Spence and Clara

Tea at Majunga: Cherub, friend, Spence & Clara




My parents return from England was a bit of a fright as their ship the “Highland Pride” sank near Vigo



All passengers were safe and remained in good spirits, I believe for two weeks, all paid in Vigo until another ship came for them. Unfortunately all the fine things brought from England were lost as the ships hold was completely under water .During the day, slowly but surely, the ship sunk.

To their rescue came ss. Almanzora and arrived in Buenos Aires on the 3rd.of October, the news was published in the newspaper “La Nación” on the 4th.inst.together with photograph of all passengers, including my parents and brother Digby.


Another home leave trip took place in 1934.   By then my Grandmother’s health was not good and Spence remained in London as he arrived too tired from France. Grandmother died 1937 and Spence in 1939.
                                                         ------------
In 1922 Dad decided to travel abroad.

              Extract from Jack Fuller’s diary:

“When spending a Saturday with me in Uxbridge, Harry said he had decided to go and live abroad either U.S.A. or South America. The following is true! He said “I’m going to toss heads or tails” It came down for South America
“I saw him off from Liverpool Street Station. We kept in touch throughout the years until his death.”
                                            --------0-------
Before leaving there was a fair-well party at Watford. Amongst others were his friends Jack Fuller, Victor Meek and his younger brother Eric together with Aunt Cherub.

Eric Meek (Uncle Eric) is all another story. A few years Dad was here Erik arrived to work for the Southern Railway. They became excellent friends and keen fishermen.  Eri became a very good banjo player and all
the old timers must recall him for his shows with George Dent and other volunteers  at the “Get-Togethers” for the war effort and later for fund-contributions for the Community.
                                                               --------
My Father arrived in Buenos Aires in 1922 and after a year of traveling the country and so surprised at the potential of it that he decided to remain in Argentina.

After a year of traveling, his funds were quite decreased…. So a friend of his advised him he had three options to look for work….   Alpargatas, Administrating a camp or join the railways.

So he joined the Great Southern Railways where he worked for 25 years until they were sold.

The years went by, Dad died (1961) and I sent a letter to aunt Cherub that was returned stamped “deceased” . 
 So that was the end of that, or it seemed…….

The years kept going and in 1993 I retired. As I had a lot of time for thinking I was able to contact, during 1995 Canada’s War Veterans office in Ottawa and I kindly received all my Father’s war papers which made very interesting reading. Although it does not mention what places of France and Belgium he saw action. It does comment rotating to different regiments, his wounds and a very interesting description of his use, due to his good French, as liaison between British and French officers.

Having had this success I wrote to the British Embassy in Madagascar asking news from my cousins.

I received a reply giving me the address of my cousin George Dibert.

No sooner said than done I sent them a note…. Time passed and no news.

During February 1996 on the verge to travel with my wife to the sea-side at Miramar I received a phone call from British Vancouver from a lady that happened to be cousin’s George daughter. She asked me to be patient and that soon they would contact me again…. I was so surprised I even forgot to ask her name and phone number.

In June of 1996 we were also on the verge to fly to Spain when again this young lady called, but from Bordeaux… and cousin George came on… However he only spoke French so after using my school French spoke a few lines and passed on the phone to my wife Antonia that speaks that language fluently.

He informed us that he not often resided in Madagascar. But, that Anne Therese (Babyloo) had spent most of her life in Paris, and, now retired, with her husband Pierre lived in Corsica. He gave her phone number and requested not to do call for she would not understand what was happening and to phone her on our arrival in Spain.

We traveled to Zaragoza where my eldest son and his family have been living for many years.

After a few days we decided to phone Babyloo. As soon as she answered the phone and I inquired “Babyloo”? the answer came:  Derek?. Well, this was too much for my heart and I passed the phone to my wife.

When we go to Spain we first stop at my son Henry’s house in Zaragoza and after traveling around this lovely area we fly to Minorca where my wife Antonia was born.

As we had rented a flat by the sea side at Binibeca we invited Babyloo and husband Pierre over to Minorca which they immediately accepted.

At the flat there was Henry and Margarita and their two children (Guillermo and Julia), My Mother-in-Law Pilar, my sister Lilian who lived, at the time, in Chicago.

We had not told Lilian she was about to meet her French cousins.  So when we all went to the airport to pick up “a French couple”…. There was pandemonium…  Babyloo was recognized right away as she was the image of our Scot Grandmother.

We lived a very fast two weeks together with my cousins and Antonia’s. We visited most of the lovely island of Minorca.  But the lark was dinner at some restaurant when people used to stare at our table and the 10 or 12 persons there were talking in English, French, Minorquin, and Spanish and we all understood each other.

The following year 1997 Antonia and I went back to Spain but then caught a flight from Barcelona to Nice and from there to Corsica where we stayed at Babyloo and Pierre’s house by the sea side.

In November 1998 they came to Argentina. We flew to the province of Tucuman so that they could meet my elder brother Alan Digby who was very impressed and on our return commented “Well, the family has come full circle”.    Digby died a few months later.

Back home, in Adrogué, we got up very early and drove to the town of Lujan, where we had breakfast and after visiting several places crossed over to Entre Rios Province as far as Colón to visit the Palmar, Urquiza´s palace, and surrounding area. Later crossed to Uruguay and spent the week end in Colonia returning on the Sunday evening, on the ferry, so that they might see Buenos Aires lights as we approached the port.

We have not met again but we often have a telephone chat.


Notes:                                                                                                                                                                     
 The following  is supposed to be a lady of the Stevenson’s family. It was understood it was at The National Portrait Gallery.    Two friends that reside in England went around several Galleries trying to find it. However, this was very difficult as not knowing either the artist or the lady involved nothing was found.   However, it dawn on me that perhaps the portrait is in Edinburgh.     The other lady is believed to be Clara´s Mother.
                                                                            
2)Well, I have written about the Stevenson’s, but at the same time they belonged to the Clan Lamont.

I quote:  “The Lamont’s fought under Montrose at Philiphaugh in 1645. Attacked by a clan of Argyll, they bravely defended themselves in the Castle of Toward, but had to surrender, and were all put to the sword by the victors.”



ANY FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT FOSTER-STEVENSON FAMILY PLEASE CONTACT CLICKING HERE

3 comments:

  1. excelente trabajo de recoleccion de datos familiares
    que lindo es conservar nuestras raices¡¡
    abrazo
    Jose Luis Leivas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teading your past, makes you re-think your present.
    Thakyou, Grandaddy !

    ReplyDelete